About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hallucinations


Regrettably, I have experienced first hand stigma and ignorance regarding Parkinson's, and even found some patients who are unwilling to talk about certain symptoms of the disease and side effects of medications, for fear of alienation and shame. To put Parkinson's in a nut shell, (I dearly wish I could) and like a walnut just crush it to pieces, but sadly we know that's not going to happen! Parkinson's and many neurological diseases, to explain in simple layman's terms, is basically a malfunction where the brain is not making enough of a particular chemical that our body's delicate balance requires to function in a normal and healthy fashion. Just like millions of women who give birth, suddenly their hormones are thrown awry, all due to a temporary imbalance. Parkinson's unfortunately isn't temporary, but neither is it contagious, nor poses a threat to others; mostly the disease is grossly misunderstood. Education and information are my only tools to try and change the mindset of those who are ill informed.

The mere mention of hallucinations, sends most running in the opposite direction, taking any empathy or desire to remain in your company with them. Approximately 8% of Parkinson's patients experience hallucinations, but I doubt this figure is correct, as patients are generally not forthcoming about this particular topic to their families or doctors. The hallucinations may last only a matter of seconds, and can vary from the sensation of the presence of a person, a sideways passage (often of an animal) or auditory hallucinations. Experiencing these is admittedly a little unnerving, but it's important to realise what they are; visual tricks played by the brain that involves the body's senses. It is crucial to understand that hallucinations do not deem a person to be  "crazy" or "mad", but are merely a manifestation of the disease that affects visual perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment