About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Completion

I have always been one of those irritating people; once I begin something, I have to see it through and finish the job or project. When I was still working, this held me in good stead, and although it may sound a little OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) being organised and meticulous has often paid off. If ever I need to find a particular document or papers regarding health, tests etc. they are accessible, filed neatly and labelled in a folder. Although most medical information today, particularly in hospitals is kept on computers, you'd be surprised how often I have had to refer to my old fashioned file for records. Becoming a paperless society I think is still some way off.
My necessity to complete a task extends further, and I must confess to being guilty of finishing a whole bar of chocolate, or an entire bag of jelly babies in one sitting! How can anyone leave half a bar of chocolate or a few jelly babies? My husband will often give me a horrified look, at the speed with which I have polished off something naughty that I probably should not have been eating at all. We all have our vices and foibles, and if this is the worst of mine - I guess it's not so bad.

I think we all have a touch of OCD in us, just some more than others, but when chronically ill, with little control over one's life, it is often the small things that become vitally important. To those around me, it's probably hard to understand and appreciate how something trivial can become imperative, simply because it's within my control, and therefore all the more crucial. When unable to fulfil or complete a task, the frustration and distress caused, possibly seem out of proportion to my family. So if you are caring for someone with Parkinson's, try and imagine and understand how it feels to have little control over your body and your life. Stand in their shoes for a moment, and look at life through their eyes; you may be surprised at what you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment