About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Wrong place - wrong time

Have you ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time? On occasion I have been invited to a function, and with little enthusiasm to attend, bound by common courtesy and out of politeness I end up going regardless of the little voice in my head telling me "this is not a good idea". Of course once I have arrived, that little voice takes great pleasure in saying "I told you so". At any event, it would be considered rude to leave too soon, so I wait for the earliest respectable time to vamoose out of there, where I can escape and return to the sanctuary of my home, where tranquillity, peace and calm reign.

Being in noisy surroundings, loud grating voices or music that is so deafening, I can literally feel the base vibrating through my body, these are extremely unpleasant conditions and within a short time, I can feel quite unwell. Trying to follow various conversations simultaneously around a dinner party becomes very difficult. Even when I dare to open my mouth or voice my opinion, I struggle to be heard, for my voice fails me at times, particularly in the evenings or if I am tired. Some husbands might see this as a huge plus, that finally their wife, who normally chatters away endlessly suddenly is silenced by Parkinson's, but it is in fact a sad and very blatant reminder of how this degenerative sorcerer casts its evil magic over an unwilling participant. I'm sure anyone with Parkinson's can relate and understand what I am describing, but it's difficult for others to fully appreciate how this disease literally changes every aspect of one's life.

If you don't have Parkinson's; consider yourself very very lucky!

This week's article in The Huffington Post is about a topic that most don't want to talk about, yet it is a common issue and one that needs addressing. Here is the link if you'd like to read "Parkinson's Problems We Don't Talk About".

No comments:

Post a Comment