About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Disability Doesn't Mean Invisibility

My friend Susie Faux who has become my fashion guru, has given me great advice in the past, for she is the Founder and Managing Director of "Wardrobe". Here is a short piece she wrote for my blog today which I thought I would share with you all.
As disabled friends have always been in my life I'm very aware of the problems that face them day to day. Both are very feminine women who feel they are now not able to indulge in their appearance the way they used to. One is in a wheelchair and tells me she becomes invisible as people often talk above her as if she wasn’t there. Another uses a crutch and is in flat shoes which she says are not very feminine.

One of the biggest problems they face, is finding fashionable clothes that have ease of movement. I suggest well cut trousers are the best garments for their wardrobes. Trousers with an elasticated waistband can also prove very useful. Flat shoes with a good support don’t always look very feminine but why not try a flat ankle boot which is very stylish and a good choice for winter and summer.

Now to partner your trousers invest in some interesting knitwear and shirts. One can achieve a very edgy look with knitwear which can be accessorised with big soft scarves. In summer a top that slides down over one shoulder looks instantly glamorous and can be worn with a fine cashmere or silk shawl. In winter a white shirt with a trendy cardigan and long beads or a chain necklace is a good look. Bold jewellery can play a big part and one friend always wears the most attractive big rings and it has become something she is known for. Don’t forget earrings which immediately make a woman's style more complete. Investing in some nice tracksuit-type outfits for home wear also means you will always feel good about yourself not just when you go out.

Hair and make-up must be important too. Hair that is too long can drag the face down and won't lift the spirits! Make-up, of course always, not just for special occasions.
Is this advice too different from what I would give any woman? No it's not, but it does highlight a problem too many of us take for granted.

Written by Susie Faux - Founder & Managing Director of "Wardrobe"

No comments:

Post a Comment