About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Losing Oneself

Slowly as Parkinson's progresses, I find a little more of  myself disappearing each day. I almost feel as if in mourning for the lively vivacious young woman I once was. Where did she go to? How I wish I could find her, and bring her back? I know my spirit, the very essence that makes me who I am is still deep within me, but cloaked in a darkening veil, Parkinson's is beginning to block out the sun and my days are becoming grayer. I'm afraid my husband may start to lose sight of the woman he fell in love with. I strive to do all I can to keep on an even keel, spending most of my day doing voice therapy, physical therapy exercises, walking with Nordic Poles, eating even when I have no appetite and nothing entices me, trying to keep up my appearance by dressing well, doing my hair and make-up. Baking and cooking, so our kitchen is filled with fresh home-made goodies, like it used to be. Just keeping up with all this each day is exhausting. I know I must keep going, despite sometimes feeling despondent. The only thing that pushes me on, and makes me fight with every fiber of my being is the steadfast love of my husband and my darling daughter. Without the love and support of these two special people in my life, I would have no reason to continue my battle. I am weary, beyond exhaustion, as if both diseases are sapping me of everything but my spirit.
I dream of travelling to Paris, the city of romance, to walk hand in hand with my husband along the Champs-Élysées. Stopping at a little café, to sip delicious coffee and sample some of the world's most delectable pastries whilst watching the world go by. The famous Arc De Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower, and not forgetting the exclusive haute couture shops, which although are not for my pocket, yet I'd love to simply window shop and admire the Parisian chic designs, which have always been the center of the fashion industry. To visit the Louvre and stand in awe before pictures that artists who have long gone, yet their names live on through the illustrious works they left for us to appreciate. One of my favourite artists being Claude Monet, I've longed to visit his house and garden in Giverny that has been made into a museum and open to the public. Will I make it to Paris before it's too late? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment