About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Voice Therapy

A common problem with Parkinson's patients is the loss of control over one's voice. The Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (also known as LSVT - LOUD) focuses on loudness (volume) which has been found to help many problems related to speech. If you have Parkinson's, you may have experienced loss of volume, hoarseness, monotone pitch or slurred speech. To increase one's communication skills which automatically improves self confidence, repetition of voice therapy exercises really does work.
To stick at something, making it part of one's daily routine is hard work, but nothing comes easy when you suffer from Parkinson's, so you have to be resolute in making the effort. You may not see results immediately, but it's worth while, so be patient and persevere, for after about three or four months, you really should hear a difference. Your family and friends will notice the change too, and be able to hear you properly. Husbands who have the uncanny ability of selective hearing, wont be able to use this excuse any more. I come from a long line of "chatter boxes" so talking is very important to me, particularly when having public speaking engagements, I want to be head loud and clear to get my message across. If you are having problems with speech, see if there are any speech therapy courses near where you live. 

As you're already here on-line, take a moment to look at my article "Stepping Out" on The Huffington Post. Wishing you all good health and a very good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment