About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, July 30, 2012

It’s exhausting being ill

It’s hard enough being chronically ill, not able to work, unintentionally creates additional  emotional and financial strains on the family. Every activity centres around the disabled person, having to adapt and make special arrangements. The smallest of outings can end up being a military style organised operation taking into account all the logistics. Just keeping up with medical care, doctors’ appointments, hospital visits, ensuring not to run out of medications – the on-going list is endless. On top of all this are other problems such as suitable housing, disabled parking permits, a car large enough for a wheelchair, holiday insurance - problematic if hospitalised within the last six months (laws vary depending on where you live). But suffice it to say, there are many extra things to take into account and attend to, when caring for someone who is chronically ill. Finding out what one’s rights are is an important yet exhausting necessity, asking for no more but no less than you are entitled to and receiving appropriate help. Don’t be shy in asking for help; if you don’t speak up, no one else will.

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, you are one of the pluckiest people I know and most of your feelings on this blog are understated. Your advice is good and solid and I can imagine how many people out there are helped by it. The way your family support you shows me what a very special person you are.

    Jill Sadowsky

    ReplyDelete