About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Not tonight Josephine!

Upon Napoleon declining sex with Empress Josephine, the phrase was coined “Not tonight Josephine”! Poor Napoleon never actually said this, yet it became a well-known phrase, which was in fact originally from a 1915 song. But this would spoil the story, so let’s stick to the notion that Napoleon did indeed speak these words to his beloved. Now you may be wondering what on earth has Napoleon and Josephine got to do with Gaucher or Parkinson! I'm sure you are curious, but don’t worry I’m getting to the point. Sexual intimacy with one’s spouse is an important part of the relationship, and even though one’s enthusiasm may dwindle due to medications, excess fatigue, pain, and all the complications involved with suffering a chronic degenerative disease, making the effort to show affection is essential. A relationship needs sustenance in the form of closeness, tenderly understanding each other’s needs, despite the difficulties of the situation. You may not be the young energetic limber person you once were; not able to swing from the chandelier or make the next door neighbours think that an earthquake occurred last night, but all is not lost. With a little effort and imagination, some form of romantic intimacy can and should be made. Victoria Wood’s rendition of “Let’s do it” always makes me laugh, and so if like Napoleon, it’s “not tonight!” relax, take a breath and enjoy a little light British humour, that I'm sure will make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment