About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Narrative Medicine in practice


Although understandably a doctor has time restraints regarding how long he spends with each patient, narrative medicine can still be applied. A doctor, who is aware of the valuable additional tool of narrative medicine, not only can improve diagnosis and ultimately treatment, but also give the feeling of empathy that patients need and deserve. Simply applying the powers of observation can make a difference. When a patient enters a doctor’s office, by looking and observing how the patient walks into the room; posture, gait, facial expression, how he or she sits down, can within a few seconds summon up a rough picture indicating the condition both physical and emotional. Every detail, no matter how small, if observed and noted can be of tremendous help, possibly filling in information or details, like missing pieces of a jigsaw puzzle; a larger, clearer picture comes into view. Eye to eye contact; another very important feature of a good consultation, and using the patient’s first name immediately makes even the shortest of visits more personal, leaving the patient satisfied he/she has been seen as a person, an individual, not merely another case in the endless stream of patients a doctor generally sees each day. These practices require little additional time, on a regular doctor’s appointment slot, and yet can vastly improve the outcome for both doctor and patient. The patient can also help to get the most out of a short time period by arriving prepared; making a list of questions, or new symptoms and additional information that may be pertinent. A list ensures nothing is forgotten, no precious time is wasted, which again helps doctor and patient with a joint goal, work as a team.

1 comment: