About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Intolerance to noise

Moving house is a tense time for anyone, but for someone with Parkinson's, it can be a nightmare. Recently having workmen finishing various things in our house, making a mess, sometimes leaving a thin film of white dust like a ghostly shroud covering everything in sight, the noise of many labourers coming and going, shouting commands to each other; all this commotion really grates on my nerves. After several days of an unsettling disturbing atmosphere, I began to feel quite unwell. Thankfully there is very little left to be done now, and just the garden is left to be planted. I've found that Parkinson's has made my hearing very acute, creating an intolerance to loud noise. If music is too loud it becomes almost unpleasant, even if its something I enjoy listening to. Loud bangs, or heavy machinery, people yelling, and even scraping of chairs in a restaurant, all aggravate and cause tension. It’s almost as if I have super hearing powers with an audible range like Superman. I don't know if others with Parkinson's disease experience this peculiar phenomena; I'd be interested to hear. Although I've lost my sense of smell, and my eyesight is appalling, my hearing has somehow become heightened, and yet the volume of my voice occasionally becomes very hard to hear. Go figure! who can explain the many strange and varied symptoms bestowed upon the unlucky individual with Parkinson's disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment