About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Life must go on

Often when I invite family or friends over for a meal, to celebrate a birthday or some occasion, I am invariably questioned by guests if it wont be too much for me. I appreciate the thought and concern which comes from the heart, and that people recognise the extreme difficulties I face daily. Realistically I am never going to get better, for a degenerative disease over time takes its toll, however, stop a moment and try to understand and see things from my perspective. Of course I am no longer Speedy Gonzales in the kitchen and it does take me longer and a lot more effort to prepare food these days, but I still get enjoyment out of entertaining. Whilst I can, I want to continue having those I care about, over for a meal or coffee and cake. I am well aware that at some point in the future I may not be capable of entertaining, but whilst I am able, I want to, for life must go on. Socializing is a very important part of everyone's life, and if I were to refuse invitations or not have people over, this would have a tremendous detrimental effect, not only on myself, but for my husband too. The isolation felt by those suffering any chronic illness is a common problem. I can already see that several couples who we thought were friends, have slowly disassociated themselves from us, and are no longer in contact. I realise some people feel uncomfortable around a person who is chronically ill, not knowing how to react, what to say, and would simply rather not have to deal with an upsetting situation. I find this rather sad, showing poor character on their part. God forbid they should find themselves in similar circumstances with ill health further down the line. Will they then remember how badly they behaved? Therefore if I ask you over, it's because I want to and still can, so please just accept the invitation graciously.

Sitting with someone who always gets my mind working, inspires me to push the envelope and I must say has taught me a great deal over the years; we got into a long and thought provoking discussion. I was asked a rather controversial question which prompted me to write this week's article for The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment