About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

When the world is half asleep

It is 03:40 and half the world is fast asleep, but thanks to Parkinson's, here I sit quietly writing as my family slumbers peacefully in their beds. My dog glanced at me out of the corner of one eye, a familiar sight to her in the midst of the night, as I slipped into the kitchen and opened up my laptop. Insomnia is an annoying tiresome symptom of Parkinson's, and due to changes in my medication, I have until the last couple of weeks been sleeping a good 6 hours a night. But sadly, I see this was not to last, and the frustrations of insomnia have returned in full force. I'll share with you a poem I wrote a few hours ago.

Lost Sleep
In sweet dreams I would rest, perchance to sleep,
Till dawn breaks anew and the sun starts to creep.
My bed beckons, soft pillows call my name,
“Come fall asleep”, a tormenting nightly game.
Yet vivid thoughts disturb taunting me,
Finally awaken, I'm released and set free.
Too hot, too cold, unable to fall asleep,
Restless, toss and turn, dawn begins to peep.
My mind's so busy, words as water flow,
Parkinson's harsh, no mercy it will show.
Thoughts come alive, at night in my head,
Insomnia takes over, can’t slumber in bed.
My eyes barely blink, they begin to sting,
A flurry of words, comforting solace they bring.
Food for the soul, I'm nourished by writing,
This torrent won't stop, no sense in fighting.
Pen in hand words appear, I'm compelled to write,
They'll be lost if I wait for the morning light.
New day appears, cool fresh air hits my face,
The night has gone, the sun takes its place.
How I long to sleep, the whole night through,
To wake refreshed, and start a day that’s new.

Written by Elaine Benton © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment