About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Toes with a mind of their own

Like many a Parkinson patient, upon waking, I find my toes on my left foot are painfully clenched, almost curled under making it difficult to walk. My neurologist asked me how long it takes between taking my first Dopamine tablet of the day for my toes to stop this involuntary curling. Never having paid attention to how long this lasts first thing in the morning, I decided to time myself so I'd have an answer for my doctor upon my next visit. It took just half an hour for the Dopamine to kick in, and my toes to relax somewhat making it possible to walk without the uncomfortable cramping. I have also noticed, as it gets close to the time when my next Dopamine tablet is due, my body appears to be expecting it, and I don't even have to look at the clock to see if the time is drawing near. I presume others experience the same thing.


Exercise of any form, and as much as you can manage without causing harm is an excellent way of keeping mobile and loosening that awful stiffness that encases one like an invisible plaster cast. With so many options, everyone should be able to find a safe sport or exercise that will be beneficial. I know people who thoroughly enjoy attending dance classes or music and movement therapy especially catered for Parkinson's patients. Walking with Nordic poles, (which I recently heard about is pretty effective) preferably walking on smooth even surfaces, any physiotherapy or exercises you can do at home, Yoga and swimming. I personally love to swim, but find it difficult to get to a pool by myself, and the undressing and even more so dressing afterwards once I am damp, is a major problem requiring help. I don’t think it matters what exercise or sport you do, as long as you enjoy it and make it part of your daily routine, it will help maintain your mobility keeping Parkinson's at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment