About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Parkinson’s Poet Prevails for Prize

I was very excited to receive the following Press Release and wanted to share my good news with you.

The indiePENdents

FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE

Parkinson’s Poet Prevails for Prize

Hightstown, NJ -- July 29, 2013 -- It isn’t every day that a woman with such a debilitating disease as Parkinson’s writes a Huffington Post blog or an award winning book. Parkinson’s sufferers by definition are depressed and unable to function sufficiently to write a document of any kind. How much more difficult for one with Parkinson’s to write verse?

Now, such a writer suffering from Parkinson’s has written a book of poetry and received the mark of excellence award provided by IndiePENdents. This award is presented to self-published authors whose work is judged by three impartial peer judges.

Elaine Benton achieved this feat. From line one she captivates the reader. The challenges of Parkinson’s are frequently explored, but with good humor. Her 38 poems are not a litany of woe. The verses of Elaine Benton are not smooth but need no apologies for it. They are written in concert with her constant shaking and stiffness, a reflection of her nature, as it were. It makes for great poetry.

Elaine says about her book, “I have met many patients, some not as fortunate as myself, for in addition they suffer from depression. My poetry has something to offer, giving words of comfort, humour and hope to other Parkinson’s patients, and caregivers who can identify with my poems, whilst also creating greater awareness of this terrible debilitating disease to the general public. My poems,” she says, “are both serious and light hearted, but all come from personal experience, straight from my heart to your heart.”

About Elaine Benton: Benton was born with Gaucher disease, a rare chronic genetic disorder that she inherited from her parents. Diagnosed at the tender age of five, it would be many years later, when married and had given birth to her daughter, that the first ever medication for this disease was approved by the FDA. In 1991, she started to receive the long-awaited medicine, in the form of infusions that replace the enzyme that her body was missing. To date there is no cure for Gaucher Disease, but in recent years, some significant strides have been made.

As if having one chronic disease was not enough, at age 44, Elaine Benton was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Having now two incurable diseases, Elaine maintains her good spirits, and her sense of humor remains intact, as seen in this most unusual collection of poems. She also writes a blog for Huffington Post UK.

About The indiePENdents: The indiePENdents is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to promoting good writing by self-published writers. The organization never charges fees for membership or evaluations, nor does it sell or promote materials or services. The three peer-evaluators found the book well written and well edited, which won Elaine the award of The indiePENdents Seal of Good Writing.

http://indiependents.org/
Copyright © 2013 The indiePENdents.org, All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment