About me

I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, February 1, 2013

A morning like no other

Our dog is not allowed in the bedroom and normally obediently refrains from entering. This morning however, I spotted her looking very guilty as she skulked out of our bathroom hastily chewing and swallowing the last remaining evidence of what she had found. Taking a quick look at the white foam dripping from her chin, and evidence of an empty soap dish laying on the floor, I didn't need the help of Sherlock Holmes to work out that our dog had indeed eaten a bar of soap! Why she had eaten the soap; who knows? I have a fair amount of experience with dogs, but have never heard of a dog eating soap! Before I had a chance to contemplate if I should telephone the vet, I was distracted by a bright bolt of lighting that lit up the entire room. The heavens opened and a huge clap of thunder accompanied the teaming rain that came down in a torrent, turning  the garden into a muddy mess, which was immediately followed by an electricity cut. I hadn't opened the electric blinds since getting out of bed, and the house was more or less in darkness; with no electricity I was now unable to open the blinds to let the daylight in. So there I sat in the darkness, listening to the storm outside, huddled next to our soap eating dog, wondering how I was going to receive guests that were due to arrive in three hours!  This was how my day started. Thankfully the electricity resumed after an hour and the rain began to let up a little. The dog looked fine, so I didn't bother calling the vet, and somehow I managed to get everything ready in time for my guests whose company we thoroughly enjoyed. I hope tomorrow morning will be less eventful. Thank goodness it's the weekend!

Here is my latest article in The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment