About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Mourning process


Continuing from yesterday, these are some of the thoughts I wanted to share with you from the personal experience of a caregiver:

"As unpleasant a thought, it is natural and inevitable  that one of a couple will go first. After losing a spouse/partner, how does one move forward? Everyone needs a reason to get out of bed in the morning. If hobbies and a social network are already in place, this makes the transition from being a couple to ending up single much easier. Plan and prepare for the day that will unavoidably come - especially those caring 24/7 for someone without any help, due to finances, guilt or shame.

The mourning process begins whilst still caring for a loved one, and should be acknowledged that whilst grieving the loss of the person, they should be remembered as they once were. We all go through this whether we have an illness or not, simply due to the ageing process that none of us can avoid. As the years pass, we become more fragile, no one escapes this progression. We protect ourselves, but we shouldn't give up and become insular; we need to fight it. 

A caregiver doesn't realise it at the time, but is already going through a mourning process even though their loved one is still very much alive and present. Both go through this course which is only normal. However, find new joys and interests that both can share while still able; creating a new history together. This might not be the route you had planned, but a different one can be made, by organizing a variation of what you had once planned. Find a new place of contentment in whatever inspires you - giving you reason to preserve your spirits. Keep in touch with what you enjoy and don't give it up."

No comments:

Post a Comment