About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Warning - pay attention!


I have spoken before about paying close attention to new medicines prescribed, to take along with your regular regimen of Parkinson's tablets. It's a very delicate balancing act finding the right medications, dosage, best intervals between meds and times of day to take them, as anyone suffering Parkinson's will well know.

Please pay attention, for a doctor can easily prescribe a pill, patch or even a harmless sounding cream to treat some additional health issue you may have, forgetting to take into account the effect this new addition will have in relation to your Parkinson's medications. Since taking, what I thought was a harmless travel pill a few years ago, where I almost passed out, felt seriously ill for several hours afterwards, do I now realise the importance of reading thoroughly the paper inside the box of any medicine. It was printed quite clearly that this pill should not be taken if one is on medications for Parkinson's. 

I don't hold anyone to blame, it is simply down to human error, which we are all guilty of now and then. Don't rely solely on the assumption the doctor has checked if there are any adverse interactions regarding what you are already taking. Since then I have become much more vigilant, reading thoroughly about any new medication prescribed, making sure that all the drugs are compatible with each other. Serious side effects can occur and really mess one up causing a huge set-back. It can take quite a few days or even weeks for the new medicine if incompatible to get out of your system. So please take it from someone who has personal experience with this; make sure YOU check whatever new tablets, patches or creams you are prescribed, no matter how simple or harmless they may appear. Before taking anything new, ensure it is suitable and wont clash with your regular Parkinson's medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment