About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Astonishing figures

Did you know that every hour, one person in Britain is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease? This astonishing figure is truly shocking. What the statistics are for the USA and other countries, I dare not imagine. Those who are fortunate not to have their lives touched by Parkinson's, take little notice and with complacency think this debilitating degenerative disease happens to other people and wont affect them. In life, nothing is for sure, we cannot predict the future, and as much as we take care of ourselves, eating healthily, staying active exercising regularly, this will not protect you. There are certain cases, such as my own, that are hereditary, but the vast numbers of Parkinson's patients do not fall into this category. Therefore the unknown factor that causes Parkinson's remains a mystery, and no one can be sure it will not happen to them. I do not mean to alarm anyone, but merely to wake up those who think Parkinson's is a disease attacking only the elderly and something that happens to other people. Those "other people" could one day (heaven forbid) become your worst nightmare, attacking someone you know, a family member, a friend or even YOU!

I think it is painfully clear by now, that Parkinson's strikes anyone it pleases; the young or old, rich or poor, it makes no difference what race or culture, famous people in the limelight or those simply like you and me, athletes, those who do regular exercise and eat healthy diets, or couch potatoes who dine on takeaways, highly intelligent academics, vivacious outgoing people and those who are gifted with the arts. There appears to be no common factor, Parkinson's choosing almost at random like some sort of bad lottery gone awry. This is why it is essential to educate the general public - bring greater awareness to a disease that is frighteningly on the increase. Raising funds for further research into finding the illusive cure is at the forefront of all our minds, but education is also vitally important to win this fight. Together as a worldwide community we will win. Parkinson's, you'd better watch out, for you are going down for the count!  

No comments:

Post a Comment