About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sailing with Parkinson's

We all wish to sail through life in calm waters, making our way smoothly to destinations, navigating life's ups and downs and moving with the ebb and flow of the tide. The ever changing seasons and currents sometimes pull us off course, and our direction is altered, but we continue to move forward.

I have been sailing since I was a child, and my husband caught the sailing bug a few years ago. "What a lovely hobby a couple can do together" was my first thought, but I did not take Parkinson's into consideration. With great difficulty I am helped aboard the boat, and once my life jacket is donned, all checks have been made, mooring lines are let loose, we motor out of the harbour. Just as we reach the breakwater the waves pick up and the boat rocks back and forth, tilting and heeling. The boat is held in irons whilst the main sail is hoisted, and the droning of the engine abruptly stops as it's turned off, suddenly a calm silence reigns. The sails are trimmed, billow as the wind fills them moving us forward and all that can be heard is the gentle lapping of the waves against the hull of the boat. This is what some may call "being in the moment". However, it is a moment that Parkinson's does not take kindly to. I don't know if it is the motion, the heeling in particular or several problems together, but I find sailing very difficult and uncomfortable. Despite having sailed in my youth for 21 years, now having Parkinson's , I am amazed at my reaction to a sport I have participated in for so long. If it is a particularly calm day, not too choppy with a light wind, I manage, and enjoy spending precious "alone time" with my husband. I have little strength in my arms and terrible balance, so am of no help, unable to pull any ropes, I sit in the cockpit like "lady muck" whilst I watch my darling nimbly hop to and fro.

Today is someone's birthday who is very dear to me, so happy birthday and may all your dreams come true! If you could have written a song, I can't think of one with words more apt than Phil Collins "You'll be in my heart"


1 comment:

  1. I applaud your courage, Elaine, in sailing. My own mother, who as you know also suffered PD, was very unsteady on her feet. She gave in to the comfort of being a prisoner in her own home, not wanting to put herself on display. She only occasionally ventured out, mostly to shop because it gave her short-term happiness to purchase something for the house or her wardrobe.

    A belated happy birthday to Brian. I'm sure you made it a special day for him, being the special husband to you that he is.

    ReplyDelete