About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Understanding everyday difficulties

For anyone not suffering Parkinson's, it is difficult to envisage all the difficulties and problems that occur during the course of a normal day. To give you an example, a close friend who knows a fair amount about Parkinson's, sent me a text message on my phone, to which I replied with one word "Thanks". Seeing I had only answered with one solitary word, she became worried I was having a bad day and experiencing an "off" period. I explained to her that I was fine, but find texting is extremely difficult and frustrating beyond belief. We have known each other for some time, but this particular issue had never arisen before, so she learnt something new about Parkinson's!

Just peeling a hard boiled egg or the paper thin peeling of a garlic clove requires great dexterity. Unless you have Parkinson's or some other disease that has hampered your nimbleness in your fingers and hands, these small actions become very trying. It is highly exasperating not to be able to do the simplest of things. I don't want to ask for help all the time, and therefore struggle trying to do things by myself.

I have little strength in my arms and they are fairly painful most of the time. Opening a jar is sometimes impossible. A friend bought me a handy little plastic gadget, no bigger than a potato peeler, which helps release the vacuum inside a jar, making it easy to open. What a fantastic help this is, after all a roast beef sandwich just isn't the same without mustard, and with the JarKey made by Brix, I was able to open the jar of mustard and enjoy my lunch.

If you'd like to read something light and entertaining, take a moment to look at my article entitled "Who's shaking the bed" on The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment