About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cannabis

There are many patients who are using medical cannabis to alleviate some of the symptoms of Parkinson's. In a number of countries smoking cannabis or taking cannabis drops administered under the tongue, purely for medicinal purposes, is legal. Cannabis in no way can replace any of the regular Parkinson's medications available on the market today, but as additional assistance, for some patients it does relieve an amount of pain, stiffness, rigidity which in turn leads to a better night's sleep. I think we can all agree that achieving a good six hour's uninterrupted sleep in bed at night , one can better cope with Parkinson's during the day.

If you would like to read more about medical cannabis, here is a link to a very interesting article supporting the claims of many Parkinson's patients who have benefited from what once was a simple medicinal herb originally used in traditional Chinese medicine dating back to 2737 BCE. In 1906 things changed when the U.S. Government introduced the "Pure Food and Drug Act" which in turn created the "Food and Drug Administration" that we refer to now as the FDA.


It seems a shame with many strong prescription medications available today, that medical cannabis appears to be stigmatised and is unfairly grouped together with lethal and hazardous drugs, that without doubt should remain illegal due to their damaging and addictive elements. I am not suggesting for one moment that everyone should be able to go to their local pharmacy or supermarket and purchase over the counter medical cannabis. However, it would be a step forward if worldwide, patients who are deemed responsible and genuinely could benefit, such as people suffering from Parkinson's; with appropriate doctor's recommendations, and going through correct medical channels, receiving approval and license in a legal manner, could gain some relief. I very much hope there will be a change in policy for the countries where medical cannabis is still illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment