About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Bathroom washbasin

Choosing new bathroom fittings especially with disability in mind can be a bit daunting. Wanting to make the right decision, knowing how important to get these things right, my husband and I had spent quite some time in a shop looking at various bathroom washbasins. Originally wanting one with a marble counter and cupboard beneath, this clearly was not going to work, as thinking of the future, if and when the time comes that I am completely wheelchair bound, it would be nice to at least be able to sit comfortably at the washbasin giving me the opportunity to do as much for myself as I can. It was clear that the washbasin had to be the old fashioned type that is affixed to the wall, and has no cupboard underneath. The salesman brought out several catalogues, and much to our amazement and delight, there were a few washbasins that had a disabled sign by the side of the page, indicating that these were suitable for my needs. What was very interesting, and something we had not seen before, was that the normal U-bend and piping that is fitted under a washbasin, had been modified making it much smaller, neater and takes up far less room, enabling someone in a wheelchair to get right up close without any plumbing paraphernalia in the way. It’s nice to see that slowly changes are being made in every sector of daily life. Not just ramps and lifts in places where once there were none, but a manufacture of bathroom fittings who had taken into consideration the needs of those in wheelchairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment