About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Gardening therapy

I enjoy gardening, or rather I should say “pottering about”, for what I lack in knowledge or skill, I make up for with great enthusiasm. I find it highly therapeutic being out in the garden and can lose track of time quite quickly. My husband is building me raised flower beds so that I can easily reach, whether standing or sitting in a wheelchair. We not only measured the height, but also the depth so that each flower bed is no deeper than the length of my arm. I get a great deal of pleasure from being in the garden, and although I don’t have a particularly green thumb, by sticking to plants and flowers of a hardy variety, they should manage to survive my inexpert “care”! If you don’t have a garden, with a little forethought and ingenuity you can turn a courtyard, balcony or even a window-sill into a miniature garden, bringing the outdoors inside. I'm not saying gardening is therapeutic for everyone, for some may see it as a tiresome chore they dislike intensely.  Just thinking of planning what I want to plant and being taken to the nursery to purchase the plants will be a lovely project I look forward to. And on the rainy cold days when I'm stuck inside the house, I’ll still be able to look outside and admire my handiwork. A little light gardening doesn't require great dexterity, and is something I can still manage to do. As one’s abilities constantly change when suffering a degenerative disease, finding things to occupy oneself, hobbies or even simple chores become a very important part of one’s day.  

1 comment:

  1. I also like gardening but being in a wheelchair find that I also need a raised flower beds, maybe your husband can build me some also. Try growing small veggies also like radishes and spring onions. They grow very easily and its nice to have fresh veggies from the garden. I tried growing mushrooms once but didn't succeed as you grow them in a draw and there wasn't muchroom inside.

    ReplyDelete