About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Parkinson's global family

An experienced doctor of the highest calibre despite spending years specializing in a particular field; can he really visualize and understand what it’s like to live with a degenerative disease 24/7? Unless standing in a patient’s shoes, it is impossible to grasp completely the daily complexities encountered with chronic disease. Parkinson’s, like many neurological diseases, continually persists, never gives up, there is no “time out” or parole for good behaviour. I've long forgotten what it's like to feel no pain, to move my body freely, walk briskly or dare to run. How I miss those simple pleasures I took for granted when young in my care free days. I mourn the parts of me I've lost, my abilities and activities I can no longer do, and things I will never see. Left with no choice, I embrace the “new me” as this is all I can do. I'm someone slightly different – a re-vamped Elaine, still fundamentally “me” yet changed in so many ways. As strange as it may sound, some things have changed for the good. I no longer worry what people will think of me, or that I need to put on the graces. I have been given the opportunity of being “free” to speak out, to connect with others I may have never had the pleasure to meet, to be part of something so much bigger than myself, part of the global Parkinson’s family, all fighting for the same cause. Each of us can make a difference, together in numbers we have strength and the power to bring about change. 

1 comment:

  1. Enlightenment has come and beautifully spoken as well.

    ReplyDelete