About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stigma

Facilities over the years have improved vastly for the handicapped, but there is still room for much improvement. It’s not just facilities that need to be improved, but better understanding of disabled persons. I think the Paralymics was a perfect example of how despite being wheelchair bound, a person can still be highly intelligent, motivated, have determination and strength of character. Just because someone is in a wheelchair, does not mean their mental capabilities are less than anyone else. The all too often stereotypical assumption that physical disability is automatically put in the same category as mentally challenged persons needs to be addressed. I met a handsome young man a couple of years ago, who was about to start university and wanted to study law. He was sharp as a whip and had an engaging sense of humour and personality. Sadly this young man had been in a serious car accident and lost the use of both his legs, yet here he was about to set forth undeterred by his disabilities, to achieve his dream of becoming a lawyer. When people see a Parkinson’s patient, what do they see? Making a hasty assumption before even talking to someone with Parkinson’s, often the shaking and tremors, along with a masked expression and difficulty in talking can give the false impression that someone with Parkinson’s is not entirely ‘there’, is ‘out to lunch’, 'not the sharpest tool in the shed’ ……I think you get the idea! The symptoms of Parkinson’s can be unnerving to observe and I realise make some people uncomfortable, but inside this shaking, masked exterior is a vibrant person trapped inside a body that simply isn't functioning the way it should. Ignorance and lack of education are to blame and we need to ensure that future generations have a better understanding of disability. I sincerely hope that through my writing and public speaking, I can help in some way to remove the unsavoury stigma that still exists, but I am only one small voice, so join me in doing whatever you can. For I can promise you one thing, if you do nothing at all, then nothing will happen. Change can’t happen overnight, it moves slowly, one step at a time, but together we can make a difference. 

1 comment:

  1. We are both blogging and the word stigma comes up in both our blogs ... mine re mental illness and yours re handicaps. Keep up the good work. We need you.

    ReplyDelete