About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Secret handshake

Having Parkinson’s is somewhat like belonging to a secret society. One member of this secret society can always spot another, without a single word being uttered. Is it the special “handshake” that we have? Or is it the famous shuffle and hunched over pose? The trouble is, this “society” that millions around the world belong to (unwillingly I might hasten to add) have a hard job keeping it secret, and if the truth be known, it shouldn't be a secret at all. Once diagnosis has been made, the quicker one tells family and friends the better. When those around you understand what’s going on, life becomes a little less fraught. The clerk in the post office; staff at the supermarket, the man in the News Agent, everyone in the bank – the pharmacy, the Municipality; you name it, they all know I have Parkinson’s. Being an author, writing a daily blog, public speaking, interviewed on radio and an amount of media exposure, all of which is about two diseases; I'm doing all I can in a poor state of health to keep up the momentum. I believe if you have something of importance to say, it’s no good sitting quietly in the corner doing nothing. I want to get my message out there loud and clear, keeping Gaucher and Parkinson’s in the forefront. The more noise we all make, the greater incentive there will be for scientists and doctors to find a cure. So if you are keeping your “handshake” secret, don’t be ashamed; you are not alone, speak out and do something. 

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, the job you are doing is commendable and I agree that the only way to get people to understand any illness or handicap, is to keep on talking and writing about it. Keep up the good work.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete