About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Get organised

I have always been very tidy and organised, which comes quite naturally to me, although some may scoff saying its the sign of a sick mind! In our house there is now a place for everything and everything is in its place. In our laundry room, like in most households, an array of odd items are stored out of sight yet are regularly used and need to be easily assessable. We found opaque plastic boxes with lids and have labeled each box, clearly identifying its contents. Anyone who requires the first aid box, or anything else, has to merely look on the shelves and will easily find the relevant box. This is of great help especially when having guests to stay or an extra pair of hands to help around the house. The same applies in our walk in wardrobe. Again shoes and other items are in boxes, making the most of every inch of space and being orderly it's easy for anyone to help as everything is labeled.

Clearing out and getting rid of any item that is broken, no longer used or wanted makes room for the things you do need. Over the years we are all guilty of accumulating unnecessary clutter, and if not dealt with, it can literally take over a household. You may well ask why am I talking about clutter, and what has this got to do with being disabled. It's a matter of safety. In our previous house we were overflowing with belongings and had little storage, cables dangerously on the floor everywhere and due to my lack of balance, I fell many times. I am fortunate not to have done any serious damage. Since moving house, now with the ability to keep things tidy there are no items left on the floor; instead wide clear spaces to walk without tripping over things. I haven't fallen once in our new home (maybe I shouldn't tempt fate and speak too soon!). So not only does our home now look pleasing to the eye with no clutter, easier to maintain and keep clean, but is far safer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment