About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Parkinson's becomes popular

A friend of mine who has Parkinson's is going through a rough patch at the moment and I think anyone suffering PD can relate to the emotional and physical turmoil we endure when our present state is compromised. My friend is a wonderful woman with great strength of character, sparkling eyes that reveal her marvellous sense of humour and like me, she has a fighting spirit. I'm sure you would all join me in wishing her well, and hope she'll soon be able to put this difficult period behind her. I write today's blog in her honour and hope it brings a smile to her face.

It is only natural as children, most of us wanted to fit in at school, and hankered to be part of the cool group, the popular kids. As a child I was very short, (still am if the truth be told) and was very pale, often missing school due to ill health, I was definitely not "popular". In fact, I'm quite sure if any of my former class mates were asked today, none would remember me at all. Speaking with my friend who has Parkinson's, she made me laugh so hard my sides were aching, as she said "We have a popular disease" when in fact she meant to say: 'a common disease'. Upon reflection, she may have been right, as due to all the hype that Michael J. Fox and his Foundation have brought to our plight, in turn it has spurred on Support groups and individuals around the world in making as much noise as possible. Therefore Parkinson's has become in a way a "popular" topic. I find that more people are talking openly now; much exciting new R&D is going on around the world, often stories being told in the news, hopefully resulting in the general public being much more aware than before. So I may not have been popular in school, but I now have a popular disease!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment