About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How to stay cheerful

I am asked time and again, "How do you stay so positive and cheerful?" This is a question I will try to answer as best I can. Living with two chronic diseases, it most certainly isn't easy, and I have to admit there are occasions when it all gets just a bit too much, even for me. No one can remain smiling and happy every moment of each day, it's not possible and quite frankly it would be a farce. Luckily most of the time I manage to keep a sunny disposition and have a smile on my face. I have been this way since I was a child, so it is deeply inherent. I think some people are simply born with a positive outlook, (or as I refer to it, having the "happy gene") but I believe one can make a conscious decision to put on a brave face, smile and look at the glass half full. There are many things in life we have no control over, and most certainly ill health is one of them. By changing your mindset, and vanquishing any negative feelings, not allowing yourself to indulge or wallow in self-pity; find your inner strength and focus on good thoughts and things you have been blessed with. No one wants to be around a grumpy sour faced moaner, so if this is you, change your attitude before you find yourself quite alone. You have the power and ability to wake up this morning and decide, enough moaning and complaining; make a change in your approach and you'll find life will be much easier. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have Parkinson's and your symptoms and medications will be exactly the same, but you'll find your positive vibes will start to have an effect on all those around you which will ultimately bounce right back at you. Your doctor will have more empathy for you, and family and friends will genuinely want to spend time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment