About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Penalised for Gaucher & Parkinson’s

I have no life insurance, being refused on the grounds of having Gaucher and Parkinson’s, so find I’m in the strange situation of being worth more alive than dead! What a comforting thought to know that insurance companies have such a dismal prediction for my future, and consider me too high a risk. A bizarrely reassuring thought, that they are the only ones who have been so brutally honest as to acknowledge my grim prognosis.  How many other diseases are also put in this category where no company is willing to issue a life insurance policy? Understandably in my family, we do not have a good track record, (three of us with Gaucher and Parkinson’s – my father and brother already having passed away) but is this enough to give insurance companies the right to refuse me a policy? Normally insurance companies are only too ready and eager to take money each month from anyone willing to sign on the dotted line, but clearly they have drawn the line somewhere else in my case, for I have been categorically refused. Not having a life insurance policy can cause problems when requesting a mortgage, and as soon as this topic arises, the banks decline any prospect of authorising a mortgage. If one were able to work out the statistics and projected forecast, I'm sure it is far more likely to die in a car accident than from Gaucher and Parkinson’s!

2 comments:

  1. Do the insurance companies think so-called healthy people will live forever? Do they not pay out to them, also? When did life insurance companies start to consider that some of us will 'come out of this life' alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad fact is that insurance companies are a FOR-profit businesses. They have nary an altruistic bone in their deceitful little bodies. It's all about the bottom line. Very sad. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete