About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

A frequent question

I am frequently asked: “Have you made money from your books?” When someone asks me this, I try to explain what most are not aware of. The publishing world has changed enormously in recent years, mainly due to the Internet and e-books, along with the ability of self-publishing. Today there are very few lucky authors who actually make a living from writing books. I have sold hundreds of paperback books and e-books, but so far have not covered my expenses. I don't write to make money; I write because I love to write and feel I have something of worth to contribute. This is why I often refer to what I am doing as more of a ‘campaign’ or ‘project’ that I gladly take on as a voluntary basis; but believe me it costs a great deal to be a volunteer. The expenses mount up; a domain/ website, blog, professional proofreading, copyright protection, paying in advance to print paper back copies, envelopes and postage, in addition to the times I have public speaking engagements and my husband takes time off work to ferry me to the venue and bring me home again. I do not get paid for public speaking, which is fine as I am happy and willing, seeing this as an opportunity to spread the word and create greater awareness. I am kept occupied by spending hours writing a blog each day and replying to those who write to me privately. What I do receive, is invaluable and worth far more than any currency; the feeling of having  purpose in my life, and the support I offer others, I have received wonderful support in return. A priceless gift I had not expected and thank you. I don't know how long I can continue writing, but as long as I'm able to, I'll be right here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the feedback you get is worth far, far more than money.

    Keep up the wonderful work that you are doing.

    Jill Sadowsky

    ReplyDelete