About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Dreams

As I sit here writing today's blog this morning, our dog is fast asleep at my feet, and must be dreaming of something good for her tail is wagging back and forth. I wonder what a dog dreams about. Could she be dreaming about a juicy steak or bone; maybe finally catching the cat who teasingly runs through our garden at such high speed, I doubt even a greyhound would be fast enough to catch her. Looking at her happy wagging tail, whatever she is dreaming about must be good! I seldom remember my dreams now, and wonder if this is due to the Parkinson’s medications, or does this mean I never reach that deep REM stage of sleep where dreams occur. This could well be due to the disturbed nights that most Parkinson’s patients suffer from. When I was first diagnosed with Parkinson’s I would have the most vivid terrifying dreams that were really disturbing; I could have given some very interesting ideas and material to TimBurton for one of his forthcoming dark films that he is so famous for. My neurologist advised me taking Clonex (generic name: Clonazepam) at night just before bed time, and thankfully this has dispelled these unpleasant dreams. Most mammals show signs of reaching deep sleep entering the REM stage, meaning they must dream about something. If only my dog could talk, I'm sure we’d have the most fascinating conversations, and I would learn what it is that she dreams about.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Elaine, I am sure that B does dream like my Gerbils. The only thing is when my Gerbils dream their tails don't wag but they twit instead and they always seem happy so I am sure their dreams are nice. I really love my Gerbils and my advice to anyone suffering from Gauche's Parkinson’s or any other chronic condition is to buy a dog or Gerbils or any other little animal it certainly helps a lot. Pleasant dream to everyone.

    ReplyDelete