About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Explaining to a child about PD

How do you explain to a child a complex disease like Parkinson's, that sadly at present has no cure, and to gently describe how this degenerative disease takes its course. Children are curious and ask questions, to which they deserve honest logical answers. A young child may have a grandparent, or even a parent with Parkinson's, and believe me, children don't miss a thing. They are far smarter than we give them credit for, and have a greater capacity for understanding than we could possibly imagine. I have had to explain on several occasions to young children, who don't know what stigma is and show no shame in staring at me, simply because they don't understand and know my movements are not normal. I explain using straightforward easy language that they can comprehend, which leaves their inquisitive questioning minds satisfied. I came across a site with several books aimed specifically at children, explaining in plain simple terms what Parkinson's is and how is effects their loved ones. I wanted to share this site with you, so that anyone out there, with a child in this undesirable situation, may benefit from having a helpful educational tool in the form of a children's book. So take a look at Five Great Children's Books about Parkinson's Disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment