About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, April 5, 2013

No need for apology

A relative recently apologised for not reading my blog, and I immediately told her that I understand and it's OK, since the topic I write about is, thank goodness, not applicable to her. Of course she is interested in my welfare and glad that my books are being read around the world, but she like many of my family and friends are now well versed in Parkinson's symptoms and it is not for them that I continue to write. Although initially upon diagnosis I wrote for myself, as a form of therapy, I soon found that fellow sufferers, caregivers and curiously doctors too, were in fact my audience. However I was surprised to hear of a lady with Parkinson's who didn't want to read anything I wrote since she was afraid it would be depressing. I grant you, I write honestly and tell it all, leaving nothing out. No topic related to chronic disease is too personal or shameful to write about, for my aim is to offer support to those who have no other means than through the Internet, ensuring they know they're most definitely not alone in their daily struggles. The many varied symptoms, side effects, and general difficulties encountered living with Parkinson's and Gaucher is what I focus on. I write from my heart, and sometimes I may have a humorous tale to tell, a useful tip or new information to share, or on occasion, experience a bad day which any fellow sufferer can relate to. If I were to continually write only cheery messages of hope, day in and day out, I think my audience would shrink and disappear overnight, for this is not realistic nor would it be truthful. My latest article on The Huffington Post is now up on-line, so if you'd like to take a look click 'here'. Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment