About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Aware in Care Kit

In the USA The National Parkinson Foundation have created an 'Aware in Care Kit' which is available for free to residents of the USA. Having not heard about this kit, a very kind lady sent one to me and I have since been encouraging people to use this well thought out aid and adopt a similar system in other countries. When a Parkinson's patient is hospitalized, for what ever reason, it is important that medications are given according to the patient's schedule. It would surprise you at how little the staff in a general ward know about Parkinson's. When admitted to the orthopaedic ward for example, it is highly unlikely that anyone there would realise the importance of when Parkinson's medications should be taken, and  that any deviation from one's schedule can have some appalling effects. By using this kit, not only are you ensuring your best welfare during a hospital stay, but educating the staff and possibly helping other fellow sufferers in future when hospitalised. Here is a link to a short video about this kit. However good the hospital you attend, one should always be aware of what medications are being administered, and possibly one's caregiver may need to take over this role if you are not well enough. There are many drugs administered in hospital that can have an adverse effect with Parkinson's medications, so don't be afraid to question any medication that you may have not heard of. Better to be on the cautious side, and not have the misfortune of having to deal with adverse effects.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the smartest pieces of advice I have read. Most of us would never have thought of this 'kit.' You are doing an amazing job of helping Parkinson and Gaucher patients all over the world. Keep on blogging.

    Jill S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Idear could be used for other Diss like Gaucher also. I have a little slip of paper always with me with all the info neaded about Gauchers Diss and even a small picture Tablets everything on it. This also is a very good idear and the more used the better for all. Good show Elaine you have done it again. Keep the good work up.

    ReplyDelete