About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gynecology

All women, at some point have to visit a gynaecologist and regular check-ups, just as one has with the dentist should be made. So why is it that most of us will find any reason or excuse to put off making an appointment? I'll go if something is painful or clearly wrong, but otherwise, this is one doctor that I avoid at all costs, as I conveniently forget. To be honest, most women would rather scrub the oven, clean the toilet, de-scale the kettle, or any tedious unpleasant job around the house, rather than go the gynaecologist. After completing mind-numbing house chores one feels quite virtuous, but niggling in the back of your mind, is the guilty thought that you still haven't been for a check-up. So what is it that is so off-putting? It's not hard to figure out - there aren't too many medical examinations that could be more undignified than removing one's underwear, feet in stirrups, legs spread wide apart; revealing one's feminine parts that normally don’t see the light of day. As I lay there, trying to look calm and relaxed, staring at the ceiling, I wonder what makes a person want to be a gynaecologist. Delivering babies I can understand - bringing new life into the world, seeing the happy faces of mother and family - a more joyous and fulfilling medical career would probably be hard to find. However, pap smears and general check-ups just leave me cold, and puzzled by any doctor who would want to specialize in this field. I apologise if I am offending any gynaecologist who may be reading this, but come on; it's a question that us ladies often wonder about, but never have the guts to ask! What made you become a gynaecologist?

1 comment:

  1. I must be very different..I love my gynaecologist! I just moved back to my hometown and looked up the doc that delivered my daughter,43 years ago. Yes, he is still practicing,delivered a baby on 12-12-12, and I went to see him. Still the fine physician, a real understanding doc, that I remember.

    ReplyDelete