About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Disabled friendly home

We have been waiting a very long time to move into our new home, which has been made especially with my disability in mind. All doorways and corridors are wide enough to take a wheelchair, and the light switches low enough for me to reach should I at some point in the future be wheelchair bound. Trying to think of everything to make life as easy as possible in my situation whilst making a home with relatively low maintenance and thinking 'green' takes a great deal of thought and research. My husband must have a diploma by now in disabled friendly appliances, home requirements and restrictions and regulations. Stress being the number one antagonist for Parkinson's, thanks to my very thoughtful caring husband, I have been kept away from the many anxieties and worries involved with building a house. I have merely had the pleasure of choosing the colour of floor tiles, the colour of the paint for the inside and outside walls and other accessories. I must admit I felt like an idiot when the salesman told us to try out the toilets. My husband looked at me as if I was mad. "You can stand and talk in front of a few hundred people about Gaucher and Parkinson with no hesitation, and you won't sit on a toilet in a shop?" he said, laughing at me. Seeing he had a point, I reluctantly sat on a toilet in the showroom, my face turning beetroot red; embarrassed beyond belief, as other customers milled around looking at the various bathroom fixtures on show.  However, once seated I could feel there was a great difference between the heights of various toilets. Clearly choosing the right height toilet when disabled, is of great importance, so shedding my prudish behaviour, I brazenly went ahead and sat on several more until finding the most comfortable one. We then chose sturdy stainless steel bars which will be affixed to the wall next to the toilet and in the shower. What our bathroom will lack in style and chic design, will more than make up for in safety, low maintenance and comfort especially designed for yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment