About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Chicken soup

Coming down with a nasty cold, and being generous of heart, I have passed it onto my husband. After all, I'm willing to share anything, but I think this is something he could have done without! There is one food that immediately comes to mind, and that's chicken soup, which our grandmas and mothers always swore by. I don't know why, but a bowl of piping hot freshly made chicken soup with thin noodles does wonders; warming the cockles of your heart - comfort food I guess some would say. But scientists have come up with some interesting facts that several ingredients contain anti inflammatory properties which would explain why it soothes colds, soar throats or flu symptoms. I have also found that a drink of hot water mixed with a teaspoon of honey, a good squeeze of lemon juice, and several small pieces of fresh ginger cut up, is an excellent (not to mention tasty) soothing drink. The ginger having supposedly anti-bacterial properties, helps coughs and soar throats. Taking so much medication when suffering chronic disease, for a simple cough or cold, I'd much rather use something from our pantry instead of the pharmacy! But getting back to chicken soup ... there is in fact a book called "Chicken Soup for the Soul" which has many short inspirational stories about changing your life through positive thinking, solving problems and overcoming challenges that life throws our way. 
My latest article appears on The Huffington Post, which is about the importance of one's appearance when chronically ill.
I wish you all a very good weekend, and hope you stay away from any colds or flu. I'm sure you can guess what's on our menu for dinner tonight ....yes chicken soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment