About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sore eyes


I had wondered why my eyes were stinging most of the time, but figured due to lack of sleep, who's eyes wouldn't be sore! Oh what joy - I find that this is merely yet another symptom of Parkinson's and that my eye lids are simply not blinking as regularly as a healthy person. This disease really does cover a wide gamut of symptoms and has left little out. From insomnia, fatigue, lack of balance, change in gait, dragging of left foot, arms that no longer swing when walking, lost dexterity in fingers, aching muscles, stiffness and rigidity of body, toes that constantly curl under, hunched shoulders, loss of depth perception, no sense of smell, resting tremors, shaking and dystonia, constipation, nausea, difficulty in swallowing, choking on food, expressionless face (masking), internal tremors and anxiety, cognitive problems; have I missed anything out? The list is long and disturbing.

We have quite a number of heavy old photo albums, and so to keep me occupied, my husband showed me how to scan each photo into the computer. Now all the photos are safely on a disk and much easier to store than huge albums. This ended up being a much longer project than I'd anticipated, and whilst scanning, I was looking at myself wondering how on earth I had changed so much from a slim vivacious energetic person with a huge beaming smile, to what I see in the mirror today. Looking at the pictures brought back so many memories, each birthday, anniversary, national holiday, any excuse for a celebration - we made one. Little did I know back then what awaited me. Sore eyes or not, I was determined to finished the project of scanning all our old photos in, and although it took me a few days, these wonderful memories in pictorial glory are now safely stored.  

No comments:

Post a Comment