About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Skilled companion/assistance dogs

Companion / assistance dogs, are specially trained to help people with limited physical mobility. These amazing dogs are taught to retrieve objects, pull a wheelchair, fortifying support and balance whilst going up and down steps or merely walking.Companion / assistance dogs are also taught to dial the emergency services (in the States this is 911) if their owner is in crisis and needs help. Apart from a dog providing unconditional love and companionship to those who are housebound, studies have proven that a dog has a great calming effect and can be highly beneficial to a disabled or ill person. To purchase a young dog who has been trained for specific duties is highly expensive, but there are alternatives, and trainers can work with the individuals in their own home, teaching the dog commands that match one's needs. Not all dog breeds are suitable, and even within certain appropriate breeds, a dog still may not meet the requirements for a successful companion / assistance dog. A great deal of time and energy has to be invested in training a dog correctly yourself with the help of a professional at home. This is not a quick process and can take up to a year, requiring perseverance and dedication, which generate a strong bond between dog and owner, but will give immeasurable results. I read that some dogs are so highly trained, they can even assist getting dressed and undressed (this I had to see to believe!), if you want to see something amazingly, take a look at this link

No comments:

Post a Comment