About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Meds not meant for me

Having been hospitalized on many occasion, I am very familiar with hospital procedure and know what to expect. On one occasion, being admitted with chronic hip pain due to Gaucher disease, a rather enthusiastic young doctor, intent on completing his assignment, came rushing into my room. Holding an eye dropper, he asked me to lean my head back so he could administer the drops. I told him that he had the wrong patient, for there was no logical reason a Gaucher patient with hip pain would need an eye examination. Irritated at my non-compliance  he told me I was the patient and he was the doctor! This was blatantly obvious, but I insisted that he had the wrong patient. I categorically refused to allow him to give me the drops; telling him to check with his superiors. Exasperated he left my room, and came back holding a medical file, pointing inside that the drops were to be administered. I asked him what name was on the file, and he told me, "Mrs. Benson, do you really think I would have the wrong file?" "Absolutely yes" I answered. "My name is Mrs. Benton!" With a shocked expression, he took a second look at the surname on the file that said Mrs. Benson, and then glancing at the chart hanging off the end of my bed, he could clearly see my name was Benton! Now what is the moral to this story you may be asking! There are two points I would like to make. Firstly if there should happen to be someone in your ward with a very similar name; be aware and ensure that files, and patients names are not confused. Secondly, don’t feel embarrassed or awkward questioning something that doesn't sound right. I knew I didn't need eye drops - there was no way a Gaucher patient with hip pain would need an eye examination!  This story does not detract from the hospital's fine reputation and exceptionally good care, but merely highlights how hospital staff are often under tremendous pressure, working long hours, and are only human - we can all make mistakes. My latest article is now up on-line at The Huggington Post if you'd like to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment