About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Cognitive Testing

Embarrassing as it is, a cognitive test is part of a necessary process enabling your doctor to have a base line from which to work. Although highly demeaning and no one likes to feel belittled, a cognitive test is a good way of assessing one’s mental capacity. Repeating the test a year later shows indication if there is decreased mental ability. Occasionally I must admit I can feel that my attention span is short, and sometimes I have difficulty finding a word (despite being a chatter box by nature). Slowness in thinking and memory loss are also noticeable, so family and friends are becoming very forgiving of my mistakes. Being tolerant and patient with someone who has Parkinson’s is very important. It’s bad enough battling this disease day in day out and on occasions feeling like one is “losing it”, but on top of that, having someone make you feel like an idiot, when they should be acutely aware of your failing mental state, is simply cruel. A lack of tact or thoughtless negative comments can have a tremendous detrimental effect on a person with Parkinson’s. Keeping cheerful and having positive thoughts and surrounded by good energy is the best defence to battle against this rotten disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment