About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Answering your questions

I have been flooded with questions, all basically about the same topic: insomnia. Clearly a lot of Parkinson’s patients our there are suffering from this most irritating and exhausting symptom. Forgive me for answering you all together in today’s blog, for I usually answer every e-mail personally, but typing is becoming difficult for me and writing the same reply to 23 people seemed a little silly. I am not a doctor and have no medical training, and just want to make it clear that I am simply a patient who is sharing information, useful tips and my personal experience with you. Every patient is different, so what medicines work for me, may not necessarily work for you. In answer to your questions: The pill I take at night is called Clonazepam (generic name), which I now take one hour before I retire. I had been taking it too late at night and it was therefore not as effective. The Dopamine also has been spaced out at four hourly intervals during the day, making sure I don’t take it too close to eating food, in particular protein. I try and wait a whole hour after taking the Dopamine before eating. Sometimes this cannot be avoided, if one is going out or eating at someone’s house. I am in the fortunate position of being under the care of a very good neurologist, and whenever he suggests a change of medications or schedule, I know that he has my best interest at heart. Thank goodness, this combination is working and I am sleeping around 6 hours a night now, instead of 2 or 3 hours! A huge difference!!! If you are suffering insomnia, speak to your doctor on your next visit and ask what changes you can make to help alleviate this symptom.

No comments:

Post a Comment