About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Shocking the neighbour

I had ventured outside, feeling the sun on my face and warming my aching bones; I decided to sit on a bench, just meters from our front door. A neighbour I have not seen for some time happened to be walking towards me; staring at me with a quizzical look on her face, and without thinking raised her hand to cover her gaping mouth as her eyes opened wide suddenly realising it was me. Have I changed that much in the last few months? I thought not, but seeing her shocked expression, gave me the distinct feeling that I do look different. We all age, none of us can stop the passing of time, and I believe the fountain of youth has yet to be discovered. As for all those anti-wrinkle creams – well Mother Nature must be having a good laugh at us ladies who purchase these products with the belief that they’ll actually work. But let’s be honest, chronic disease does take its toll, and needless to say those who don’t see me on a regular basis are bound to notice changes. To cover her uncomfortable slip-up, I quickly said “hello” and asked how she and her family was. Before she answered me, she leant forward and touched the sleeve of my T-shirt, pointing out that I was wearing it inside out! So now I am left wondering, was she shocked at how I look, or at the fact I had my top on inside out. Maybe it was both; I guess I’ll never know. The moral to this story, is to have a mirror on the wall by the front door, so that you can take a quick look just before you step outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment