About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Today is a new day

After my ‘pity party’ yesterday, where in a moment of weakness, I allowed Parkinson’s to get the better of me, I have pulled myself together. We all have good and bad days, and hopefully more good than bad. It has been my intention from the very beginning of writing this blog that I speak honestly and share everything with you. There is little point in me telling you all is fine and dandy and painting a false rosy picture. It is unrealistic for anyone to stay cheerful every minute of every day - it is not possible - not even for me - the eternal optimist. This is not what you want to hear, and I believe you deserve to hear the truth about how it is to live with chronic disease. However, today is a new day and “ I'm back” in full force! You can’t keep me down for long, and this morning up at the crack of dawn, full of vigour and spirit I wrote the following poem.
Parkinson’s a hungry scavenger appears,
Feeds upon worry, anxiety and fears.
Speeds up and takes over, if you give it half the chance,
Any invitation; quick as a flash will advance.
Don’t give in and don’t give up; stay strong,
Keep cheerful and positive all day long.
Fight with all your strength and might,
Clad yourself in armour, battle and fight.
This is a war I’m determined to win,
Despite the odds looking rather slim.
Parkinson’s will not triumph; it’s got it wrong,
We’ll beat it together, in numbers we are strong!
Written by Elaine Benton © 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment