About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

To err is human

“To err is human; to forgive, divine” is a well-known quotation from an essay written in 1709 by Alexander Pope. How many times have we heard this, but do we really take it to heart? No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes; doing what we think is best at the time, making a decision in haste not thinking about the repercussions, or simply speaking without thought or consideration for the other person. We are all guilty at one time or another of small indiscretions, but this is part of what makes us human. Realising we've made a mistake and owning up to it, making amends where possible takes guts and maturity enabling one to move forward. Holding onto old wounds, anger or bitter feelings ultimately only causes damage, and is an unhealthy negative cycle. By letting go and forgiving, you in fact release yourself from that burden. I have the habit of speaking the truth; it’s in my nature. If I can’t say the truth, I would rather not speak at all, and sometimes this is not received well, so if I have offended someone by being brutally honest and truthful, I apologise. A new day can be a fresh start – it’s never too late to turn a page and begin anew. Life is not simple, relationships are often complicated, and the road on which we travel can be a bumpy unpredictable ride especially when suffering chronic disease. I wish you all good health.

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, once again you have given us some honest advice which I appreciate.
    Jill S.

    ReplyDelete