About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Getting forgetful

It appears of late, that I have forgotten several important dates and find this most annoying, since I always used to remember everyone’s birthdays and anniversaries off by heart. Is it the ageing process or Parkinson’s, or simply too much going on in this head of mine?  Anyway, if I've forgotten your birthday, anniversary or something else – I do apologise. I was at a regular check up with my neurologist the other night, and whilst sitting there, the alarm went off on my mobile phone to remind me to take my pill, which of course I had forgotten to carry with me! We had a good laugh (at my expense), and as it was painfully clear, there was no need for the doctor to ask about my memory! Although I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s five years ago, and have been on various medications since, I am still constantly surprised at how a neurologist can finely tweak one’s regime of pills, which can make quite a difference. The doctor listened attentively and very patiently whilst I wriggled on the chair reading the things I wanted to tell him from my list, that he has now become accustomed to seeing upon my visits. By him simply changing the timing of my medications and just adding an extra half of one pill a day, last night I blissfully slept for six hours and awoke not feeling groggy! I can’t tell you how wonderful it was to wake up and see that it was already light outside, knowing I hadn't been sitting for hours, as I do most nights, in the middle of the night writing at the kitchen table. I am quite sure he doesn't read my blog, but on the off chance he is today – I just want to say THANK YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Elaine,
    I am so glad you had a good nights sleep last night and wish you many more.

    ReplyDelete