About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Smashing Good Time

My family has become accustomed to the occasional broken glass or dish, and Parkinson's make's me very wary of using our best crystal wine glasses, especially  any particular item that is fragile or made of bone china. We did have 24 matching wine glasses a few years ago, but since the arrival of Parkinson's in our lives, the number has mysteriously dwindled, leaving just a few remaining. My sister-in-law thoughtfully took me for an outing which was a most welcome and enjoyable break to get out of the house. Inquiring where I'd like to go, I asked if she'd mind a visit to …. well I won't mention the shop's name, but you know the one I mean, that is huge, bright blue and yellow, has unpronounceable names on their products, some leaving me wondering what on earth they are for, and a fortune of walking involved as you follow the path around the entire store, to ensure you take a look at all their products and hopefully purchase something before you leave. Thankfully they have their own supply of wheelchairs and motorized carts which is of great help. If you happen to work at this shop - thank you for taking into account those of us who are less mobile, and also for thinking of making a toilet for the disabled, but perhaps you need to see to the disabled toilet door, for it's unbelievably heavy. So now we have re-stocked our wine glasses, I'm ready for a party and a "smashing time"!
I was given a very sound piece of advice the other day from a fellow 'Parkie', and with her permission I'm sharing it with you. Soap dishes or dispensers made from china or glass in your bathroom that sit on a porcelain washbasin, can easily be dropped and apart from breaking the soap dish itself, if the angle is right, you can also end up cracking or chipping the enamel of your washbasin. I had not thought of this, but fortunately don't have china or glass soap dishes. The same applies in the kitchen for we have an enamel white sink, so it's best not to use any glass washing up liquid dispenser and stick to plastic bottles, less attractive I'd admit, but safer and less expensive than replacing a cracked sink.

Someone I care very much about is in hospital, and knowing he reads my blog daily, I would like to take this opportunity of wishing him a speedy recovery, and hope he'll soon be released and can return home to his family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment