About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Too Young

A new pharmacy opened in our area, and being so conveniently nearby, I decided to try getting my prescriptions filled there. I handed a wad of monthly prescriptions over to the cheerful pharmacist, and after studying each paper, she  looked at me and said "I'm sorry, but we don't have any Parkinson's medications in stock yet." I was a little surprised, but before I had a chance to open my mouth, still smiling at me, she asked if I intended to get future prescriptions filled there, they could order the necessary medications in especially for my mother. "For my mother?" I asked, almost choking on the words, since my mother passed away almost three years ago. "The prescriptions are for me - I have Parkinson's" I stammered. We both stood staring at each other; it was one of those moments that seemed to last forever, and an awkward silence fell over us. I'm usually not short of things to say, but this had thrown me for a loop. The pharmacist flushed and clearly young and inexperienced finally said, "I'm sorry, but you look too young to have Parkinson's, so I assumed the prescriptions were for your mother." I was too tired to explain my mother is no longer with us, nor did I have the energy to grab this opportunity in educating someone by giving one of my mini lectures about Young-on-set Parkinson's, that I've now got down to a fine art. So instead I wearily just nodded my head as she took down my details and in future, I'll be able to get my medications from there.

It's odd how people make assumptions. Maybe I was looking good for a change - who knows? Perhaps the young woman doesn't know anything about Parkinson's and thinks it's a disease that affects only the elderly. On my next visit to the pharmacy, I might have a little more energy and enough to leave her well informed about their new customer with Parkinson's.

No comments:

Post a Comment