About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

How Do You Feel?

Have you ever been asked "And how does that make you feel?" This annoying question often posed by psychologists trying to ascertain what their patient thinks about a particular topic, can really rub one up the wrong way. How would anyone feel being diagnosed with Parkinson's at a young age? Angry, devastated, sad, horrified, disbelief? The list is too long, but not hard to guess. If someone were to answer otherwise, I think there would be something seriously amiss. So in hindsight maybe the question isn't so futile.
However I have to give credit where credit is due, and understandably a concerned doctor sent me to a psychologist for he was worried I was either in denial or didn't fully comprehend the seriousness of my situation. Being an unusual case, suffering two chronic diseases, doctors have found it difficult to understand how I keep so positive and cheerful. Complying with his request, I dutifully went along to see a psychologist. Entering his office with my usual smiling face, I was met with a very worried expression. After explaining in great detail about Gaucher and Parkinson's, the psychologist knew I understood completely and wasn't in denial. He wrote in his file that I have an "unusually healthy mental attitude".

I was reminded of this story by a fellow "Parkie" who read my article recently in The Huffington Post: "These Shoes Were Made For Walking", and like myself, loves shoes! Who needs expensive therapy, when you can go out and buy pretty shoes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment